Thursday, July 1, 2010

Our Story

It’s hard to write a short blog on a 12 year old relationship/friendship. Sorry it is so long!

There was this boy, and I was this girl.

After being best friends from age 11, Daniel and I started dating our Junior year at high school. Our love for our God, missions, traveling, church, friends, family, tennis, Auburn, Mexican food, and  many other things were just a few reasons we were perfect for each other and had the best time no matter what we were doing.

We graduated high school together, then we both played tennis for local community colleges for two years before packing up and heading to God’s Country- Auburn! We each worked our tails off getting through our undergrad in a timely manner (which I now recommend taking your time and enjoying it).

Our senior year in college God did an amazing thing! Daniel was called to summer missions in India, while I was called to go to Romania. We have always been inseparable, so we were scared/excited/unsure about what was to come for those three months apart and after. We both went were God called, somewhat questioning what God was doing to our relationship. I won’t act like it was all easy resting in God’s plan. It was hard on me emotionally, and it was a rough summer to get through. All the while, God had a bigger and better plan…I could kick myself for EVER doubting or questioning God’s plan! While we were each overseas in different parts of the world, God confirmed in both of our hearts at the same time that we were meant to be together…forever.

We have spent the past year so in love and happy about what God is doing in our lives. With my graduate school graduation this summer, starting a big girl job, and Daniel finishing graduate school… I couldn’t help but wonder when we would actually get married!

Here is the fun part:

While on vacation with our families, Daniel and I had to come back to Auburn for classes/work for two days. On June 22, Daniel asked me to play tennis with him after class. I had TONS to get done, so I tried to talk him out of it and even told him to ask one of his friends to play. I’m still not sure how, but he managed to talk me into going. Boy, am I GLAD that I went!

We got there and started hitting around for about 10 min. before my grip on my racquet broke. I went and told Daniel that I didn’t have a backup, so we needed to leave. He and his awesome patience asked me nicely to try to play with it for a little bit anyways.I reluctantly kept playing for a few more min.

Me telling him I can’t play anymore:

DSC_0123

While we were playing I noticed Daniel kept hitting balls in the corner. I was thinking, “Man, we have both lost our touch at tennis.” We decided to pick up the balls and head home. We were picking up the balls in the corner when he said, “Does your ball say something?” My friends always tease me about being oblivious to the world around me…and well, here is a prime example. I kept picking up the balls and told him, “Nope, mine don’t say anything”. When in fact they did, but I just had not paid attention. He said, “Well, this one says ‘Will’ and this ones says ‘you’"…” At this point I realize what is going on, and tell him in a shocked/excited way, “NO YOU ARE NOT!!!!” I start reading the tennis balls I had in my hands that said…you guessed it…. “marry” “me?”. By the time I got all of them out he had dropped on one knee!! We were both excited and nervous, and he asked me to marry him! I of course said YES! DSC_0124

DSC_0132DSC_0197 DSC_0141

It was perfect! He put my ring on, and I was still in shock while he was probably thankful that it was over. I then realized flashes coming from the bushes outside of the courts. My sweet friends Ashley and Dani had been hiding and taking pictures the whole time. I loved it!!! Having that moment documented with pictures means so much to me.

Their hiding spot:

  DSC_0118

After the eventful time at the courts, Daniel and I went and got ice-cream to celebrate and some bridal magazines to start getting ideas and dreaming of our wedding day!

ENGAGED 003

ENGAGED 004

ENGAGED 006

   The next day we went back to the beach for the rest of the week. Once we got there both of our families had gotten together and threw us a surprise engagement party complete with cake, pictures, and wedding gifts. We can not thank them enough! Everything was absolutely perfect and better than I could have ever pictured!

DSCF0387 DSCF0410DSCF0405

What an amazing week that God has allowed me to experience. No matter what happens in this life for us in the future, I will always have this moment. I pray that God never lets me forget it and the happiness that comes with it, and that our marriage in the future will be an example of Christ’s love for His people. Aside from asking Christ in my life, my spouse is the most important decision I will ever make. Many prayers have been spoken  over this, and I am certain that God has called us to be together. I look forward to what He is going to do next!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had time to completely read this yet, but I'm at a computer for 5 minutes, so had to comment!!! Yayyy!!! The Lord is faithful! :) SO SO EXCITED FOR THIS MARRIAGE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your heart and your story! :)

    ReplyDelete