Thursday, June 17, 2010

Turning hard times to blessings:

Everyone was out of town this past weekend, and I mean everyone! I don’t think I have ever felt so alone in Auburn, but I had no choice. I had too many papers and comps. to study for, so I had to stay home while everyone was out enjoying the great outdoors. (I was a little bitter/jealous, ha!) After throwing a pity party for myself, God showed me the reason that I was supposed to stay in Auburn besides school work.

This past weekend Zehra slipped and fell on a broken jelly jar at the store. She had to be taken to the ER, and ended up having to have surgery to remove the glass chunks in her arm. Obviously, Newman and Hulya were devastated. Here they are in a foreign country, and their 6 year old daughter has to have emergency surgery. This opened the door,again- Thanks, God!- for me to talk to them. I spent the afternoon talking to them about the surgery and how they could fill out paperwork from the store to help them pay. Zehra seemed to be getting better, but just a little sad since she is cooped up inside for the summer. They had to go back to the doctor a few days later, and it ended up she had to have surgery again! :( Poor thing! Her second surgery went great, but she is now in a full arm cast. She hasn’t been outside much lately, but I look forward to seeing them soon once things settle down. The blessing in these hard times is that God has allowed for some great conversation. We have been able to talk about prayer, which is something that they can relate to in a way.

**SIDE NOTE PRAISE REPORT**

So, when we went to the park a few weeks ago Ashley’s neighbors were also supposed to go. Well, they ended up not being able to go, and she never got to meet Hulya and Zehra. Well, after her fall at the store Grace asked Ashley for Hulya’s phone number to check on Zehra!!! What?! We had no idea 1) how did Grace know about Zehra’s fall? 2) How did Grace know about Hulya? Ashley and I were a little confused for a day or two. Then, I talked to Hulya. As we were talking she said, “You know Grace?” HA! you can imagine my confusion/surprise! It ends up that… (Get ready, b/c God is AMAZING) Hulya was invited to a picnic with her English class. Well, somehow Grace who is not in the class was also invited. They went to this picnic and just so happened to run into each other only a few days after our park date!! Not only that, but Grace was also at the store when Zehra fell. Grace had seen it happen, and she just wanted to call and check on them. How amazing is that!? I just love it! Another blessing out of this is that Grace is also a Christian, so just another person to share God’s love with Hulya and her family!

1 comment:

  1. Super cool!!! I've been reading Ashley's blogs as well :)

    ReplyDelete